-The way to keep public places such as municipal buildings, clinics, parks, etc., street corners and parking lot it is by using solar security lights, and this is due to simple reasons: zero energy consumption, reliable performance, and low maintenance.
-Finding the best solar security lights isn’t a simple assignment. There are many different models which start from cheap solar lights to expensive solar security lights that last the whole night, and each of them ranges from another.
-Several features make up a good solar security light – waterproofness and durability, intensity and brightness, illumination, quality and efficiency of solar panel, battery capacity and type, sensors and the price of the solar security light. Apart from that, consider if the light can be installed both vertically and horizontally, does it come with ground stakes and adjustable mounts and the length of the cable that connects the solar light and the solar panel.
-There is a wide variety of options available, but not all of these options will satisfy your needs when it comes to brightness and consistency. Follow this guide to get the best solar security lights.
Separated panel versus integrated panel
Table of Contents
-Solar security lights are available in two types, the first one has a solar panel built-in and is in the same housing as batteries and led. The second one has the solar panel separated. The separated solar panel may take longer to install than the built-in one but offer more flexibility when it comes to locating your panel. The location a solar panel is critical if it has to provide consistency even during winter.
When you select the right unit of an integrated panel when it comes to panel power and brightness, these security lights will be efficient.
-The level of brightness required depends on the function and location of the light. For instance, when you have a detached house, then you will need a mains equivalent light such as twin head signaler. If that is not the case and you just want to protect a shed and light up a pathway during the night, then signaler fusion is good.
The brightness of the light is measured in a lumen. There is no recommendation on the watts for each lumen, but the general rule of thumb is that 50 LEDs that generate 320 lumens are equivalent to 45-watt mains bulb.
Passive infrared sensor (PIR)
-Pir sensors are motion sensors that activate when they detect motion. There are two types of passive infra-red detectors. There is an integrated PIR and are the type that cannot be adjusted. Their range is 1-5 meters. Their detection angle is 120˚. These detectors don’t suffer water ingress issues and therefore, are reliable.
The other type is flexible PIR and is mounted on a swivel. They are pointed at specific locations. They can be adjusted regarding sensitivity, time and lux.
-Reliability of a solar security light is all about balance. For instance, a powerful light with 80 led’s and 1200 lumens should have a powerful panel which is at least 3 watts and 6000mAh battery capacity. If that is not the case, then it won’t work as you wanted. The point of having a security light is that it should work consistently every time of the year.
Types of led
-Led lights to use up about 90% less energy than equivalent halogen or incandescent bulb. The two types of led bulbs are superb bright led and SMD. The SMDs are small and are “surface mountable” and therefore, are perfect for electrical boards. They are placed close together and have an incredible lumen output with wide beam angle. The best solar security lights have SMD LEDs.
-The battery capacity act as a reservoir. Whenever the light is activated, it will consume power, and when the capacity is large, it will activate the light many times until morning when it can start to charge again. The battery capacity is good and ensures that there is enough voltage during cloudy days.
Pros of using solar security lights
• Low energy cost – suns energy is free, and you can utilize this to cut on energy cost.
• Saves money – no wiring required during installation making it easy, quick and cheap
• Low maintenance due to few fixtures and wiring
• Versatility – lights can be installed in anywhere you want
• Reliable – since solar energy is a renewable resource, it is more reliable than oil, electricity, and coal
• Motion sensors – best solar security light has motion sensors which turn on when their motion in the path of a sensor
• Safe – there is no risk of lights getting hot or being electrocuted which makes the lights safer than electrical light
Cons of using solar security lights
• Low brightness as compared to electrical lights which might be unsatisfactory for some people
• Affected by the condition of the atmosphere such that if the air is polluted, it affects the efficiency as the brightness is reduced
• Affected by heavy cloud cover and bad weather – too much rain or humidity limit the sun’s radiation reaching the solar panel those storing little energy.
Top 3 Best Solar Security Lights on the market
1) 60 Watt LED Wall Pack Light – 7,232 Lumens- High Efficiency 120 Lumen to Watt - 5000K Bright White - Replaces 400-500W - 100,000 Hour LED Wall Light–Commercial Grade Wall Pack LED Wall Lighting
- BETTER DESIGN – DLC came back at 119.7 Lumens to watts! Even better than expected! New Phillips Luxeon SMD 3030 LED modules 120 Lumens per watt - Save even more by using a lower watt unit. Compare the lumens against others. Premium grade components make this an industrial grade LED Wall Pack Light
- BRIGHT LIGHT – The 60 watt is rated at 7,232 by DLC. 7,232 Lumens can replace a 400-500W HPS/HID/HALIDE light. 5000K light color ensures a bright clear light. Over 100-degree angle creates a wide light distribution.
- BUILT TO LAST - 100,000 LED saves having to replace bulbs- Aluminum Housing with high tech Heat Sink. Better Heat dissipation ensures longer LED life and safety. IP65 Waterproof for all weather conditions. All backed by a 5-year warranty.
- CERTIFIED - UL Listed and DLC verified for safety and rebate eligibility. UL Certified products ensure better quality, safety, and reliability. DLC is the Design Lights Consortium for independent verification of performance.
- EASY INSTALLATION & OPTIONAL PHOTOCELL(not included). The unit has 3 conduit entrance locations and a standard circle cutoff in the rear for easy installation. Whether you are retrofitting an old unit or doing new construction, these are easy to use. Dusk to Dawn sensors (Photocells) can be added but are not required. 60 watt is 14-inch housing. 360mm x 259mm x190mm. Housing is black (some pictures may make it appear lighter)
Industrial Series LED Wall Pack Lighting System – 100,000 Hours Commercial/Architectural Grade Wall Pack LED
Replace your old wall pack with our newest 2016 high-efficiency Wall Packs LED. Save money and never have to replace bulbs with a 100,000 hour rated LED Wall Pack. The led wall light is also ideal for new installations. Light up an area of your house or building for safety and aesthetics.
With Lumen ranges from 1,000-14,000 our LED Wall Lighting is what you need to light up your building!
- Housing Color: Black
- Input Voltage Range: 100-277VAC
- Frequency: 50/60Hz
- Input Current: 0.2-0.6
- Power Factor: >0.9
- MAX THD(%): 20
- Materials: All New Components
- Efficiency: Up to 124lm/W
- Color Rendering Index (CRI): 72+
- Color Temperature (CCT): 5000K (3000K-5700K optional)
- Lens Materials: Tempered Glass
- Housing Materials: Die Casting Aluminum
- IP Rating: IP65 Outdoor Rated
- Certification: UL Listed
- Certification: DLC Rated (60watt and higher models)
- Life Span: 100000+ Hours
- Dimensions 40-80 watt models. Medium 14inch housing. 360mm x 259mm x190mm.
- Dimensions 100-120watt models. Large 18-inch housing. 463mm x 232mm x 235mm
- Photocell optional: Can be used with or without (photocell not included. See 51-122 for photocell model)
- Warranty 5 Years
RuggedGrade is committed to higher quality LED products. Industrial Grade solutions at affordable prices
Designed in the USA. Copyright 2014-2016
2) Litom Solar Lights Outdoor 54 LED, Super Bright Wide Angle Solar Powered Light, Wireless Security Waterproof Wall Lights for Garage Patio Garden Driveway Yard RV (4 Pack)
- 54 LED Solar Light: Equipped with 54 super bright LED lights, it provides excellent illumination of up to 800 lumens, which is far brighter than other similar LED solar lights.
- Unique Wide Angle Design: With 3LEDs setup on both sides of the solar lights which create a wider range of luminosity. The maximum lighting angle can reach 270 degrees.
- Upgraded 120° Detection Range: Built-in PIR motion sensor of our solar lights can detect up to 120 degrees with a longer sensor length of 26 feet thus provides a broader range of lighting.
- Solar Panel IP65 Waterproof Solar Lights: With solar panel, it can convert up to 17% of the sunlight into electrical energy. Made of durable ABS material, you don't need to worry about use in the rain. It can also withstand all kinds of severe weather conditions.
- 3 Lighting Modes: 3lighting mode at your option, you can choose any of them to your needs. Medium-light mode; Dim light sensor mode; Sensor mode.
3) Gama Sonic Victorian Solar Outdoor LED Light Fixture with Motion Sensor, Bright-White LEDs, Pole/Post/Wall Mount Kit, Black Finish #GS-94FPW-PIR
- Motion-sensing lantern for 3-inch posts, flat surfaces, or walls with solar charging panels, 13 LEDs and patented light-enhancing cone reflector
- Turns on at dusk and off at dawn: LEDs output at 100 lumens normally and brighten to 200 lumens for 45 seconds when motion is detected
- Energy-efficient with a historic 19th Century gas-light design
- No electrical wiring required for installation
- Constructed with weatherproof, rust-resistant cast aluminum and beveled glass