The world is becoming smarter, hence should your home. You will like the idea of providing extra security for your small nest with a distant eye. With apartment security camera systems sending footage to an online server, you are able to access the recorders watching your house remotely.
In this article, we will deliver an intensive guide and our editor’s picked products. The choices can apply for a variety of apartment from duplex, penthouse, loft, studio, to one bedroom apartment.
Time to jump in.
I. Why do you need a best security camera for apartment?
Table of Contents
- I. Why do you need a best security camera for apartment?
- II. Where in the apartment security system should you install cameras?
- III. What includes in the apartment security camera set?
- IV. How the apartment surveillance system works?
- V. Apartment Security Camera System Buying Guide
- VI. Top 5 best security camera for apartment reviews
- 1) Nest Apartment Security Camera, Keep An Eye On What Matters to You, From Anywhere, For Outdoor Use, Works with Alexa
- 2) Amazon Cloud Cam Security Camera for Apartment, Works with Alexa
- 3) Arlo Q Plus by NETGEAR – Apartment Camera System | 2-way audio | PoE/AC Adapter powered | Indoor only | No base station required (VMC3040S), Works with Alexa
- 4) Nest Apartment Surveillance Cameras, Works with Alexa
- 5) Vimtag Apartment Security Devices Kit 2 P1 | Cloud Box
- VII. Can tenants install surveillance cameras inside?
- VIII. What about using a camera as an exterior?
- IX. Wrapping up
In a single-home family, people have pretty good control over the environment and the options to adapt to keep your home safer.
That situation doesn’t apply to apartments and other types of dwellings you may rent or own. You don’t have that ideal control like the houses facing the street.
If you look from the eyes of a criminal, you can see the potential hide-outs to support your break-in.
There are choke points tight enough for somebody to target you. Hiding places such as under the stair’s riser could be a nice spot to hide before following you while you’re approaching your apartment.
The continually changing in residents and population also feeds the fear of thieves and burglaries. Thus, the need for a apartment camera system grows to set peace in mind.
Beyond the mean to record footage providing evidence for crime scenes, apartment security devices benefit many other aspects.
- Surveilance the baby room
- Catch events in the kitchen
- See who’s at your front door
- Spy on your pets
More than that, best apartment building security cameras will deter those who plan to intrude your private place.
II. Where in the apartment security system should you install cameras?
Although small, your apartment inhabits many weak points to defense. We’ve observed and got some recommendations to consider.
This one in-and-out doorway is the only gate that separates you and the outside world.
If the burglar wants to enter your home, he has to go through this door. Having an eye surveilling here will be a plus.
It is also better to know who is knocking on your door to avoid the sudden attack. With a security camera for apartment door at the front, you’ve got the upper hand to handle the situation.
If you happened to own a ground level unit, make sure you secure the windows. Besides the locks, you should think of being able to block the bad even further. Doorway cameras also help you catch incidents on the street outside.
It makes sense to watch what’s going on in the kitchen. In the worse scenario where something ignited a fire, you will be able to report the cause.
Small apartments don’t meet many opportunities to make use of multiple channels security systems, but you can think of surveilling your baby while you’re in another room.
It’s pretty helpful to get acknowledged about the behavior of your infant. It might help you to detect unfamiliar situations.
III. What includes in the apartment security camera set?
A watching system for small flats is straightforward. In other words, the network may only include single security camera to 3 cameras working independently.
Most models are wireless and more than easy to install. They own high resolutions from 720p to 1080p promise sharp images. It is possible to make the devices more discreet by using hidden cameras in apartments.
IV. How the apartment surveillance system works?
There is no need for a receiving head. The camera surfs on Wi-Fi and delivers footage directly to a remote server. You will connect with the database via a controlling app. This is where you can watch live recording as well as retrieving old videos.
Following your data subscription, you will have the correlative cloud capacity to save the clips. Otherwise, most cameras offer built-in memory SD cards to keep the videos. You can take the physical drives out and transfer data onto your PC.
V. Apartment Security Camera System Buying Guide
Buy a best security camera for apartment is not as easy as you think. Unlike a single-home family or small business security camera system, apartments require particular factors.
Check your home network to see if it’s stable enough to feed the bandwidth of the wireless cameras. The reason is these devices consume data to upload videos to the cloud. Cameras that work 24/7 are potentially slow down your internet speed. You should consider upgrading your network plan before installing security cams.
Type of front-door cams
There available models in standby mode can auto switch on when there are motions in the scanned areas. The other type has an always-on feature. This one, no doubt, eats up power to stay activated all the time.
More than that, advanced cameras can hibernate when there are no movements around while the rest of the models keep recording constantly. You should consider this feature as it saves a significant space in the external hard drive or your cloud storage.
It is great if you can receive push alerts about what’s going in your flat and at the entrance. That way places peace in your mind when you’re away for a vacation or business trip. This notify function incorporates the motion detection feature to message you what or whosever is approaching your apartment.
In the situation where you need to surveil the living room or the baby room at night, night vision comes in as a great companion.
Be that as it may, you should choose the night vision that can see evident in low-light conditions. The farther its Infrared LED can reach, the better the camera.
A free app to remotely modify your system is also a desirable function. With the application, you can configure resolution, access the footage and set up other features right on a smart device.
Speaker and microphone
It is useful to have a two-way communication feature built-in the front door camera for apartment. The speaker and mic let you hear and talk to the person standing outside. That allows you to decide if you should open the door or not.
Consider the money you have for the system. You don’t want to go cheap security cameras because if the camera doesn’t function properly, it hurts your wallet again to have the device repaired. But don’t pay above the head for features you don’t need.
VI. Top 5 best security camera for apartment reviews
Since it’s hard to meet all criteria in the middle, you won’t be able to buy the right surveillance system for your apartment without reading a guide. You also need a list of the most effective products on the market to choose from.
You’re in the right place. Proceed to the compilation of the best surveillance systems you can buy for your apartment.
1) Nest Apartment Security Camera, Keep An Eye On What Matters to You, From Anywhere, For Outdoor Use, Works with Alexa
What’s in the box
- 3 Nest Cam indoor cameras. Each camera comes with:
- Versatile stand with magnetic base
- 10-foot USB cable and power adapter
- Quick Start Guide
- Welcome Guide
- Window decal
- Nest screws and wall-mounting plate
Everybody needs their home to be the most secure place for the kids, elderly and even pets. Sadly, it isn’t all the time so, and there’s a possibility that unpleasant things can occur in your house that is associated with safety. Consequently, you want to make the most of Nest Cam cameras that be certain your own home is the most secure place to be via providing you recent tendencies in and near your home.
The Nest Cam Safety Digital camera is the modernized model of its predecessor, the Drop Cam Pro. Advanced in 2009, the Pro beat records and had fantastic sales in the surveillance digital camera sector. The outcome inspired Drop Cam to get a hold of an upgraded model of the Professional known as Nest Cam.
The Nest apartment security system provide you with complete 1080p videos that help you observe the happenings in and around your home. The cameras have a push-to-talk function that permits you to communicate with Nest Offer protection to and Nest Thermostat the usage of your phone. The settings menu in these security cameras has an on/off transfer synching with the Nest Thermostat. Its image high-quality selector incorporates of 360p, 1080p, and 720p that strengthen movement and sound alerts. There may be the video get right of entry to a setting that allows you to stay the digital camera public or private. The digital camera also has a timetable environment that provides you with the liberty to show the digicam on and off.
The available Nest Cam apartment security cameras are expensive. The cloud storage plans that help you view and handle your recorded movies via cloud provider subscription plans can dig a hole in your pocket. Despite the fact that there’s a loose fundamental plan the place you can retailer a thousand clips, it starts deleting them one after the other on a first in/first out criterion.
- It will provide you with 24/7 reside streaming permitting you to check whilst you need.
- It has 24/7 steady recording and makes use of the Nest Cam Mindful subscription.
- The video images are stored within the cloud gadget, a protected and secure storage plan.
- You’ll fit the digicam on a shelf or a wall. It also works with different Nest Cam units.
- It permits you to get customized signals through creating process zones that observe doors or home windows.
- Its 1080p video will provide you with sharp videos.
- It’s cloud storage plans are pricey
- Its notification ability is restricted
- It gets sizzling too soon
There’s no justifiable rationalization as to why the Nest Cam cameras don’t seem to be the top sellers. Features such as the up to date app, magnetic base, pivoting stand and the high-resolution video set it aside from other DIY cameras. Additionally, it is simple to set up.
Does it serve its purpose? Each the Nest Apartment Security Camera and the Drop Cam Pro have remarkably an identical feature. If you already own a Drop cam, you are not going to peer the want to improve to this one except you desire a really top solution reside streaming software.
2) Amazon Cloud Cam Security Camera for Apartment, Works with Alexa
- Connection available 24/7: Records videos and detects activities in 1080p full HD. You can watch live, download your videos, and share them without charge.
- Instant, smart notifications: Be notified in time whenever your camera spots an activity or motion. It allows you to check in and monitor your videos via the Cloud mobile app or at cloudcam.amazon.com. For intelligent alerts, you only get those which really matter.
- Clear view in the darkness: Thanks to 8 infrared LEDs that will be automatically activated when the lighting is dim, you can clearly watch things happening in the dark.
- 2-way audio communication: Gives you the chance to talk from one certain point to another, or contact with your kids or pets in your home. All you need is a strong Wi-Fi connection and a power source to help it work well.
- Enhanced monitoring functions: Available when you upgrade to the Cloud Cam, which tells you exactly when the Cam detects a person. Or with Zones, you’re able to choose some regions you want the Cam to ignore.
- Alexa cooperation: Simply ask Alexa and you can show your live feed on your Fire Tablet, Echo Spot, or on the Amazon Fire TV.
This apartment security system brings almost everything you need to keep you and your family as safe as possible. It can view any motion, but you’re only given notifications that truly matter. Its detection function is ready for capturing key activities right from the beginning. Then you can feel free to watch them live, download them, or even share them charge-freely.
3) Arlo Q Plus by NETGEAR – Apartment Camera System | 2-way audio | PoE/AC Adapter powered | Indoor only | No base station required (VMC3040S), Works with Alexa
- 1080p videos: Sharp high-quality videos can be live streamed from anywhere at any time using your smartphone, computer, or tablets.
- Flexibility in setup: You can connect your system with an Internet connection, such as Wi-Fi, PoE, Ethernet, or you can avail the local recording in case of Internet interruptions.
- Advanced night vision: This extra yet helpful feature allows you to view objects and movements clearly even when you’re in the dark. Now darkness is no longer a problem with the Arlo Q camera system!
- Immediate alerts: Keeping you updated with both motion and sounds via email alerts or push notifications is probably the quickest way to help you keep track of your apartment or home.
- Built-in speaker and microphone: Once the push-to-talk capability is enabled, you can hear and reply back.
- Functions well with Amazon Alexa/ Google Assistant /Echo Show/ Fire TV: Monitoring your live videos with the use of voice command is no longer a dream.
- 7 days of Cloud recordings for free: The Arlo camera arrives with seven days of free cloud storage. It’s all about live stream and recorded videos without charge.
- SD card slot: Insert an SD card, and you’ll have another reliable external storage solution for local recording or backup.
With Arlo Q Plus , you’re having a reliable security solution for apartment. The best surveillance system for apartment is available in 1080p HD videos with a 2-way audio communication feature. This means you don’t have to stay in one place just to view and listen to what’s happing in your living space. Now you can watch live and rewind what happened before from anywhere you like: smartphone, tablet, laptop, PC, etc.
4) Nest Apartment Surveillance Cameras, Works with Alexa
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately).
- SECURITY HAS NEVER LOOKED SO GOOD: The Nest Cam Outdoor is here to help set your mind at ease. Nest Cam Outdoor is beautiful, weatherproof, and it plugs into power, so you never have to worry about dead batteries. Whether you’re watching for the kids to get home from school, checking to see if your package has arrived, or scaring off a potential burglar, Nest Cam Outdoor is here to help!
- DON’T MISS A THING WITH NEST ALERTS: You can’t always be watching your video feed. Nest Cam looks for motion and listens for loud sounds, like a boom or the crash from a window breaking. Then it can alert you with a photo from the event, and even save some pictures in the Nest app for three hours.
- BE HEARD WITH NEST: Nest Cam Outdoor has a built-in speaker and mic so you can scare off a suspicious visitor when you’re out, or let the delivery man know to leave the package at the door.
- WORKS WITH NEST: Nest has worked hard to design thoughtful devices to help keep you safe and secure. Nest devices not only communicate with each other but also with the other smart devices around your home. Your Nest Secure can use your smart light bulbs to help get your attention in the event of an emergency; your smart washer and dryer can take the data from Nest and run the next load of laundry when energy demand is low. Look for the Works with Nest badge and let Nest handle the rest.
- THERE’S NO PLACE LIKE A NEST HOME: We love home. It’s the best place in the world. But not everything inside our homes is lovable. Some things beep at us; fail without warning; keep us in the dark. There are things we’ve learned to ignore. We think these things should do more. Nest is focused on making simple, human, delightful things. That’s how we’re creating the thoughtful home: A home that takes care of the people inside it and the world around it.
Like other surveillance systems for apartments, Nest Cam Apartment Surveillance Cameras only works best if the Wi-Fi is functioning. And you must have a broadband Internet connection at 2Mbps uploading speed at least. In return, you can watch everything indoors and outdoors at 1080p, no matter whether it’s daytime or nighttime. Just make sure to plug in the power cable to have no worry about the batteries.
5) Vimtag Apartment Security Devices Kit 2 P1 | Cloud Box
- Wide range of uses: Capturing photographs and recording videos using smartphones, computers, or tablets is nothing new. But having Advanced Monitoring, Pet Monitoring, Business Monitoring, Senior Monitoring, and Remote Video Streaming in one single package is really special.
- Enhanced technology sync: It allows you to sync your videos with the Cloud storage box (provided separately). It also offers a user-friendly application for full control over your surveillance system, from motion-caused push notifications to remote pan-tilt-zoom cameras.
- Compact size and modern look: Offers your camera security system an aesthetically pleasing appearance. This suits all housing shades and mounts, which makes it easier to blend the system with your home or apartment’s landscape.
- HD video quality: The Vimtag system is built with a high-definition recording and 4x digital zoom to cover every little activity taking place around your home. So, you won’t miss a thing!
- Super Clear Night Vision: It goes along with the Vimtag system to let you view things clearly in the darkness.
- Convenient storage solution via Cloud Box: You store your videos easily and watch them wherever you’re, either at home or office. If the system gets damaged or stolen, your videos remain safe. And there is no monthly cost for a 60-day storage.
- “Detailed” Hi-Fi sound: Provides crisp highs and thumping beats to elevate the whole listening experience.
With the Vimtag Security Cameras at Apartment Complexes, even when you’re in a dark room, you’re still able to monitor what’s happing in your apartment clearly from a smart device. But what people love the most is probably its wide range of uses and its great picture quality (1280 x 960p). In addition, if you watch the system closely, you’ll recognize a button used to switch off your video recording within 24/7 before switching to the motion control setting. This feature is quite flexible and easy to use in the emergency.
VII. Can tenants install surveillance cameras inside?
Chances are you are renting an apartment, but no one can ensure your privacy. It’s likely that your landlord may unlock your apartment or there are suspicious events around your flat.
As you want security for this dwelling place, it is your right to contact the house owner to permit a security system.
The legal right may be still in dispute, but the best answer for this question is depend.
You don’t possess the place to decide. It is your landlord who will determine whether he or she is interested in letting you have a set of a security system in their house or not.
It is no law violation having cameras as the interior in a flat, but you can’t make that system upon the interest of your own. Otherwise, you will intrude the privacy of the apartment which is not yours.
VIII. What about using a camera as an exterior?
The hallway is not in the area where tenants have a right to surveillance. Doing so sparks concern to other tenants.
You may contact the landlord and the complex’s manager to discuss your wish. Typically, for safety concern, most people give the green light to the need for security cameras at apartment complexes.
However, an apartment security system may abuse other exterior motives. You should also gather your neighbors’ opinions before submitting your safety demand in action.
IX. Wrapping up
It is everybody’s right to desire safety at their home, whether it’s private property or renting. Apartments though have the advantage of a guarding gate with security staff, that doesn’t mean they ensure your own safety at all time.
Make sure you have all the permission from your landlord, the building owner, and flats on the same floor to install the cameras. Also, you may get consulting from the District Attorney to clarify the rule for video cameras in an apartment.
We hope our guide for apartment security camera has armed you some wisdom before shopping. Let us know how you pick your surveillance systems and the way it works for you.
See you in future posts.