The thieves never sleep while most break-in crimes tend to occur when your home is not under a protective layer. If you can’t be there all the time, let the best home security camera system to be your home-away eyes. Among thousands of options floating online, we’ve tested and brought on this list the best home monitoring system for family use. The picks not only help you to select the right model that meets your need but also save you time diving the market. We KNOW the demand to protect your family is the utmost priority.
I. What is the best home security camera system?
Let’s learn a bit about a full set or security camera and its mechanism.
A] A standard surveillance system for home includes
The camera network provides a series of recorders installed around your private property. Typically, one system comes with 4 to 8 cameras. Those can include dome and bullet cameras.
**FYI: Dome cameras can mount on the ceiling and grasp a broader view thanks to the adjustable focal. The bullet units may have slight cut-off corners due to its shape. There also includes a camera channel called NVR or DVR depends on the type of CCTV you want.
1) DVR (Digital Video Recorder)
A DVR works on the analog system making use of coaxial cabling and connectors. On the DVR, there are multiple BNC inputs represent the cameras that can connect. In other words, it’s a point-to-point connection using cables.
2) NVR (Network Video Recorder)
The system incorporates the latest technology which exposes to be more flexible than the DVR. NVR has a network work base allows everything in IP. That means you can relocate the device anywhere on the network. As long as the cameras are under cover of the system, they are able to reach the NVR and keep the recording business.
3) DVR/NVR cables
The DVR system pairs with coaxial cables while NVR functions wirelessly or via Ethernet cables.
4) AC/DC adapter
The device supplies power to the entire system.
This is optional. Modern security cameras with cloud-based may not require a screen to display the footage. You may wonder if a large screen is right for your camera system, but it is not a practical choice. The Internet has allowed you to have an eye on your private place no matter how far you go. Smart phones and tablets is believed to replace the actually screen soon.
II. How does a home surveillance system work?
These cameras are responsible for recording the occurrence in the supervised area where you point the devices at. Cables will transmit collected data to the DVR/NVR router to process. The signals then get transferred to images displayed on your screening devices. All of these videos are stored in an HDD integrated into the recording head or the cloud. The virtue memory allows you to access the footage from smart devices via the Internet. Both DVR and NVR let you review the clips from its source.
III. How much money for a best home security camera system?
Our experience tells us not to care about the price tag when we shop for a protection solution for our family. A cheap home security camera system brings many unexpected downsides and costs you cash to get it fixed. Spending for an effective system not only saves you money but also time. Well-functioning cameras give you the confidence to observe your house from a distance. However, you do want to skip the inappropriate features. **Tips: The best home surveillance systems that costs around $300 to $800 is sufficient for family demand. Anything beyond that price may exceed your need.
IV. Home security camera system buying advice from real experience
A security camera system for home has the major duty of keeping an eye on your home and property. Most systems own the same basic functions, but some got rigged with special features. Here are some common characteristics you will pay for a home security watching system.
A] Field of view
You want to see through the camera in a wider or narrower angle? People usually desire for a larger field of view since one device can only guard a single area. The common distance can range from 90 to 140 degrees. Broader view is suitable to keep tabs in the backyard. Smaller angle specs can be all you need for the front porch.
It would be helpless to look at a blurry image. So, you may want the highest possible resolution cameras.
480p is still available in cheap surveillance cameras for home, but we don’t recommend having this standard on a home surveillance camera system. But video quality at 640×480 VGA can keep the battery staying longer. The lest you should pick is 720p for an HD resolution. Cameras with 1080p offer full HD quality for more details. But keep in mind the high-res devices will consume more bandwidth, thus, can potentially harm the transmitting speed. Nevertheless, technology has fixed the problem on some cameras by equipping auto-adjust quality relying on your internet connection.
Local storage is an old-fashion storing solution while cloud recording is acceding the market. If you rely on a separate storing accessory like a hard drive or SD card, you may end up a pile of physical disks that need to label. The cloud storage lets you access the footage from its remote server. But cloud drive only keeps the clips for some time before deleting them to make space. Although a cloud plan may come free with some model, the capacity is not endless. You will need a recurring subscription for continuous footage. Some cameras come with both storing options to compensate each other when needed.
D] Night vision
It is pointless not to see a break-in that happened after dark. Night vision allows you to scan the scenery in low-to-no light conditions. The feature technically makes use of infrared LED illumination that auto enables when night falls. What matters is the distance that home security cameras can capture activities. A wider aperture determines the amount of light a camera absorbs thus giving the ability to identify what is going on in dim situations. This built-in motion-activated light is a must on any surveillance camera gives you the power of 24/7 monitoring. It may, by chance, catch a priceless incident that you can bring to dispute.
E] Motion Detection
This basic feature, no doubt, adds value to your home surveillance systems as you’re not able to keep up with the live feed all day. The system will push notifications to your smart device when it detects events in the scanned area. You should care about the boundaries the cameras can reach. It can range from a few feet to 100.
F] Environmental stand
Natural vandalism is what a good set of cameras should withstand. Most bullet cameras have a better ability to resist tough weather like rain, snow and salty air than dome cameras. The endurance thus gets adjusted on the quality of the transmitted image. Depends on where you live, you can pick the surveillance system that fits the situation.
A majority of cameras have a black and white finish to promote its blend-in ability. But they come differently in size and shape that distinguish each model. Cameras with adjustable stands allow pivoting up to your preference. Some camera units have magnetic backing so that you can position it to the angle you want. You may see many cameras with a slim platform or long neck benefit in pointing in any direction. The ones that have no neck restrict in viewing angle but are more durable.
H] App support
Modern home security camera systems offer remote management via apps used on computer or phone. With the application, you can watch the live recording or stream a playback. High-end cameras are able to send you alert working accordingly with the Motion Detection.
J] Additional features
Not all camera can record, but it is a plus to have this add-on. You can hear what people talk in the video. The two-way audio feature is even more fantastic. It lets you talk to whoever standing in your front lawn. For example, you can tell the pizza guy to leave the food in front of the door while you’re busy with laundry. An exceptional feature like an alert siren will be helpful if you live near the wild. The loud sound can scare away animals dwelling in your front yard. The alarm can also frighten anyone who intends to intrude your property.
K] Wired or wireless surveillance system for home
DVR systems provide more recording consistency. Corded cameras guarantee the signals won’t go lag due to poor connection. More than that, a wired system is less likely to be hacked. A PoE (power over Ethernet) surveillance camera also has its advantages to offer including mobility. As long as the devices are within the coverage of Wi-Fi, they should do the job. But be acknowledged with the poor signal as it may result in lagging images. Also, you need to ensure the internet connection in your house, especially large houses. Read Best Wireless Surveillance System You don’t want 16 channels for a 2,000 square feet home. Consider the area of your house with the number of spots you want to install the eyes.
Many recommendations suggest TWO bullets for the front door and back yard; TWO domes inside suffice a medium house and its surveillance need.
A considerable security system should also fit your bank account too. Fortunately, you don’t need to invest more than a thousand to have a proper guarding camera network. The rule of thumb is to stick with all the criteria while not cracking any of your financial plans. You may calculate the upfront cost for the devices and their companions. If you go for NVR and a monthly fee to unlock more storage, count the money to see whether you can afford or not.
DVR vs. NVR
With IP cameras or NVRs, you will have to give them independent IP addresses. Furthermore, you might need to open more ports in your firewall so that they can reach out. But more importantly, the NVRs work at the mercy of your Internet. If the power cuts off your networks, then bummer! You’re no longer recording. Hardwired DVRs assure good quality recording. But each camera equals to one roll of wire. It would be such a mess to loop cables all over the place. DVR also limits itself in scalability. Your best bet is to rely on the NVR/DVR hybrid. You can have IP cameras and analog cameras mesh into a single system. Obviously, a hybrid system opens up a lot of benefits. But mind your wallet and real demand.
V. Top 5 Best home security camera system 2020 on the market
We have conducted many tests as well as collecting feedback from consumers. The real-world experience and millions of references on the Internet have helped us conclude these top 5 surveillance systems available on the market you can buy today. Scroll on to the best part!
- Stunning HD Display – This security camera system displays in a 2560 × 1920 HD detailed image, providing users with crystal-clear footage both during the day and at night. Enjoy our improved Night Vision feature which delivers a flawless display for up to 100ft.
- Plug and Play PoE System – The camera kit comes with 60ft network cables, which allows for easy installation and set-up. After connecting the security cameras to the NVR ports, recording and live views can be seen within seconds via an HDMI monitor.
- Stable Wiring and Digital Signal – Unlike a CCTV DVR system, videos from the IP camera system will not lose quality or be destroyed by faulty cables. A strong digital signal maintains a 5MP high-definition image via 330ft CAT6 or 270ft CAT5 ethernet cables. Users will never have to worry about signal degradation which usually happen on coaxial cable of DVR and analog cameras even within 100ft.
- HDD Storage and Remote Playback – With pre-installed 2TB HDD, videos can be recorded and stored for ten days without overwriting occurring. Users can add one external 4TB HDD via the camera’s e-SATA port. With the free Reolink app, all videos can be played back through your smart device anywhere, anytime.
- Flexible Operation – Reolink 5MP cameras are equipped with 8 PoE ports on the NVR video recorder, making the security system flexible enough to work with up to 8 Reolink PoE, bullet or dome cameras.
2) Firstrend [Expandable] PoE Security Camera System, Firstrend 5MP 8CH NVR with 3TB Hard Drive
- SECURITY CAMERA SYSTEM PoE: Most convenient and perfect solution for Home and Business Security purpose, more stable and safer than wireless NVR system. Never worry about issues such as wifi disconnected, device offline or other connection problems. True Plug & Play surveillance kit by POE Cameras. Putting Customer First is our business philosophy, 60-day free return and 2-year warranty is guaranteed. Any inquires, please contact Firstrend experienced support.
- 5MP ULTRA HD SECURITY CAMERA SYSTEM: 2560x1920P super HD detailed image, viewing in stunning clarity with 5 megapixel cameras. Allowing you to see more clear and detailed image day and night. Night Vision up to 65ft and IP66 rated weatherproof cameras. You can install it anywhere you want, perfect indoor outdoor Security & Surveillance solution for Home, Office, Shop, Warehouse etc.
- SMART WIRED SECURITY CAMERA SYSTEM: H.264 Pro compression technology allows you to store more on your surveillance-grade NVR. This doubles your recording capacity, leaving you without the hassle of constantly having to manage your recordings to accommodate new surveillance data. It represents the highest of compression technologies, saving you the most storage space and vastly improving bandwidth efficiency.
- EASY INSTALLATION and STABLE VIDEO QUALITY: Power over Ethernet (POE) is an advanced technology, which enables you to use a single network cable for both video and power transmission. A single network cable provides both power and video transmission, allowing you to position your cameras anywhere without a power outlet nearby.
- 24/7 LIVE and REMOTE MONITORING: Free APP can be download to remote view and playback recordings (Please make sure NVR is connected to your router by Ethernet cable), totally compatible for your mobile (Andriod and iOS System), tablet and PC. It also support Sync-playback,Video Backup and Motion detection. Email alert or App alert will be sent once motion got triggered (Noted: Please Set it Up Properly to Avoid Email Blast).
3) Swann 8 Channel 4 Camera Security System, Wired Surveillance 5MP Super HD DVR 2TB HDD, SWDVK-849804
- SUPER HIGH DEFINITION FOOTAGE: This premium 4 camera, 8 channel DVR-4980 5MP wired surveillance camera system lets you see faces, tattoos, logos on clothing, labels on boxes, license plates and more, in 5 Megapixel Super HD, that’s 2. 4x clearer than 1080p. The cameras’ sturdy construction gives you 24/7 protection in rain, snow, heat and all year round. Each PRO-5MPMSB camera has a 70 degree viewing angle and night vision up to 100ft, so no blind spot will go unnoticed. Add 4 more cameras for full 8 channel surveillance.
- Tired of paying for extra storage? Enjoy free video storage with no ongoing costs: This wired security system delivers reliable home, office and retail protection 24/7. Have peace of mind knowing that if something happens you will always have video evidence. Store months of video footage onto the massive 2TB hard Drive with no additional costs and upload footage to the cloud by linking your DVR to your own Dropbox account.
- True Detect heat & motion sensing: this professional-quality DVR security system detects moving warm objects, like people and cars, triggering recording and push notifications so you can act immediately to prevent unwanted activity. With reliable notifications and fewer false triggers, you’ll save time and stress. . With Swann Smart Search technology, you can select a specific area of the image to search for movement within recordings.
- SECURITY MADE SMARTER: “Alexa, show me the front door. ” Compatible with Alexa enabled smart devices like your Echo Show, Echo Spot, and 4K Fire TV. Also compatible with Google Assistant and Chromecast. Live stream from multiple cameras and multiple sites, playback video, receive push notifications and more on your mobile device via the latest Swann Security app.
- We have your back: not only do our security cameras have your back, We do too. Everything you need to get started is in the pack including cables, mouse, stickers and accessories. If anything goes wrong, your Swann surveillance camera system is backed by a full 12 month .
4) Amcrest 4K Security Camera System w/ 4K 8CH PoE NVR, (4) x 4K (8-Megapixel),NV4108E-T2499EB2-2496EB2
- Amcrest’s NV4108E-HS NVR supports hard drives up to 6 Terabytes (Hard Drive Not Included), while Featuring 8CH Recording, the Latest H.265 Video Compression, Playback & Live View in Up to 8MP Resolution @ Real-Time 30fps. Includes 2 x 8MP (4K) IP PoE Outdoor Turret Dome Cameras & 2 x 8MP (4K) IP PoE Outdoor Bullet Cameras(3840x2160P) @15fps. Includes 4 x Ethernet Cables (4 x 60ft).
- Experience Ultra HD 4K – Stunning ultra-high quality 4K (8-Megapixel / 3840×2160) resolution featuring enhanced low light capability utilizing the latest IMX274 Sony Starvis image sensor and S3LM Ambarella Chipset. Super-wide 112° viewing angle allows you to cover more ground. Each IP8M-T2499EB-28MM camera is equipped with a built-in microphone that allows you to listen to what matters most.
- Plug & Play setup, Easy to configure, access and control. Scan QR Code on NVR from “Amcrest View” app to instantly access live viewing and playback. Connects to and manages all the POE IP cameras on your network directly through their ethernet cables for ultimate ease and convenience in a home security system.
- Blazing throughput of 80Mbps enables you to watch things happen as they happen: real-time, highly reliable HD video without loss or delay. Conveniently packaged with extras such as USB mouse, network cable, and quick start guide with user manual.
- Advanced H.265 compression technology lets you save on storage space which allows for longer recording times. H.265 technology compresses your video without sacrificing any of the UltraHD video quality. Includes USB backup feature for peace of mind. All systems CE & FCC certified with UL compliant power supplies. Guaranteed for a Full Year from purchase with US Support and US Warranty offered exclusively by Amcrest.
5) WD ReadyView 4MP Surveillance System – 1520p HD, 4TB WD Purple HDD
- Simple 4-step NVR setup (after cat 5 wiring and surveillance cameras are installed)
- Expandable system bundle includes four surveillance cameras on-site storage drive and 100ft Ethernet cables with room for up to eight cameras as your needs grow
- Video storage using WD Purple, the trusted award-winning drive that’s purpose-built for 24/7 always-on surveillance systems
- 4MP Camera Bundle: four 4MP, metal, HD, IP67 dust- and water-resistant rated security cameras with night vision and Intelligent Video Surveillance (IVS) features, such as smart-motion detection, scene change and trip line functions
- View live streams and recordings from anywhere with an internet connection using the mobile app
Beyond the horizon
It takes time to think about getting a home surveillance system regarding many factors. We encourage you to think twice before making the decision. In order not to make a wrong purchase in the flux security industry, you should throw more than 3 models into the cart then compare one model with the next to pick the right fit. If you want to go ahead of time when the upcoming innovations show up, look at features like face detection, voice control or integration to link to other smart-home devices. Regardless of the trend, just stay with the safest option you can pick. Out of the best home security camera system above, we are sure there is one that fits you. You can read best surveillance systems to understand about types security systems